Wednesday, August 19, 2009

ISAAC READS HIS FIRST WORD!!!

Some of you may have read my post and watched the video of Isaac where I support the Leap Frog movie The Letter Factory. Isaac learned his letters and sounds super quickly with the help of the fun video that incorporates an actual plot (this is in contrast with other videos that just have the letters and sounds bouncing around the screen...LAME!)

So, as a special surprise for having an accident-free potty training day last weekend, Isaac received the follow-up video, The Talking Word Factory, where the letters are put together to make words. He has watched this video maybe 5 times in the past week. We watch it together and have dialogue about it throughout the day to reinforce what we are learning in it.

So we are at TenFold last night...for those of you who don't know, TenFold is the youth chapter of our church. Tim and I attend every Tuesday night and Isaac and Juliet come with us. Several weeks ago, I had written down a simple Bible verse that I thought Isaac could begin to memorize: "GOD IS LOVE" and I kept it in my Bible. Isaac began to get a little antsy during the lesson last night, so I pulled out the little piece of paper with the verse written on it and he was intrigued. He sat there sounding out the words...instead of "G" "O" "D"...he would say their sounds..."guh" "ah" "duh". He couldn't figure that one out at first, so he went on to the second word..."ih" "s"..."ih" "s"..."IS"!!!!! It clicked in his head! What a moment!! I was so excited I was distracting (sorry Bryan)! I gave Isaac a big kiss and hug as quietly as I could...but I was still distracting. What a thrill!

He then retackled "God" and began to get it...he tried "love", but it didn't quite follow the basic phoenetic rules. So, his first official word that he read himself was "is". I think it is odd that it is a verb. I would think it would have been a noun.

Good job, Isaac. Way to go!

4 comments:

Karla and Edmond Long said...

How cool!! And even cooler that it happened while worshiping the Lord!!!

Anonymous said...

How very exciting! Keep at it and he will be reading Bob books before you know it.

Pelt Family said...

I would suggest skipping Bob Books and going directly to Pilgrims Progress.

Beth said...

Great job Isaac!!!