Sunday, August 23, 2009

Believe it or not


It all started when Tim and I played softball on the National Mall for the Kennedy Center. I used to not have any feelings about the geese, but in the Spring of 2005, everything changed.

If you are unfamiliar with the geese, all you need to know is that they leave poops larger than most dogs. The Canadian Geese invaded the field before every game. We would be forced to play softball in their excrement. From that point on, it was me versus the geese.

Last year, I met Aimee. Our youth pastor, Bryan got married to this beautiful woman who grew up in Michigan and learned how to use a gun and ride horses. This afternoon, Aimee generously took me to a shooting range. I was preparing for water fowl season in Northern Virginia. It was loud and startling. There was no air conditioning. The shells hit you in the face. But I did it. I shot a 22.

I am glad I did this. I haven't had any new experiences for a while and this was surely new. I cannot say, however, that I will be back again. I didn't like the feeling of shooting the gun...and I'm told that with bigger guns, it gets harder. And since I learned that if you're going to shoot a goose, you have to use a gun larger than a 22, I will just have to supress the feelings that were evoked that Spring back in 2005.


2 comments:

A Daily Dose of Grace said...

I was cracking up laughing reading this blog and I had to stop in the middle to read it aloud to Andy. We then both burst into laughter. Amanda, I love you so much! :)

Pelt Family said...

Nice going. I like it when people get out and do something new. Congrats